Arjan's World: VS.NET Maddness
You are now being redirected to the new housing of Arjan's World. Click here in case nothing happens

Monday, March 07, 2005

VS.NET Maddness

Just started (again, after about half a year) to continue trying to learn VB.NET and ASP.NET. We're still working VB6-only at work, and moving on to the .NET world always is sacrificed for the noble goal of Getting Things Done. Still, I think I should try to invest as much time as possible to stay up-to-date with new not-so-young-anymore-mature-and-soon-to-be-follow-up'd-by-a-new-version of the 2003 version of Visual Studio. Anyway, I cloned my testmachine to another one. Once I tried to debug my first simple ASP.NET application, the following not so straightforward error message popped up:

"Error while trying to run project: Unable to start debugging on the webserver"

Haven't seen that one before on my other test machine... Google offered more on the subject in a page with a good starting point: /Repair the installation of VS.NET

Well, seemed fair enough to try, but a bit general. Just like I always tell people to reboot their computers and find some technical problem suddenly gone :) And besides, repairing VS.NET really takes forever... anyway, 45 minutes later I found myself pressing 'I' for Ignore hundreds of times: definetely something wrong as it couldn't find anything on the CD anymore... so I cancelled the (re)installation. Of course I could have known that now my incomplete installation was rolled back completely, yielding a *totally* unusable installation. The only option was to completely start from scratch all over with the installation... maddness indeed, because this took me the two hours I could have invested into .NET programming today :(

The first file that couldn't be found was cpqstart.hxs. Of course I checked an it's not on the CD in the location the setup thinks. So why the error message? This is beyond me, and one of those frustrating things that seem inevitable once you try to get your feet dirty with some serious programming stuff. Of for that matter, computers in general..

ps: mmm, turned out I pressed reinstall i.s.o. 'repair'. Still, that should not lead to the abundance Ignore message I got.

1 Comments:

At 8:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know you posted this a while back, but in the future. The cpqstart.HxS file is on disk two. There are a number of other files on disk 2. It's not smart enough to know that the needed files are on another disk

 

Post a Comment

<< Home