Arjan's World: Joel Invents The "Development Abstraction Layer"
You are now being redirected to the new housing of Arjan's World. Click here in case nothing happens

Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Joel Invents The "Development Abstraction Layer"

Go read The Development Abstraction Layer. Key quote according to me:

A programmer is most productive with a quiet private office, a great computer, unlimited beverages, an ambient temperature between 68 and 72 degrees (F), no glare on the screen, a chair that's so comfortable you don't feel it, an administrator that brings them their mail and orders manuals and books, a system administrator who makes the Internet as available as oxygen, .... etc



This is *so* true. All to often programmers, but of course -to be politically correct- all other knowledge workers included are viewed as resources who can be exchanged at will. Some disgruntled employee leaving the company? Let's just get another! Let me assure you: I don't think we as programmers are the only important employees for our companies. But please let us do what we're best at: programming. And while I don't need an Aeron chair, please let me have quiet working place conditions with at least the possibility to work undisturbed for a substantial amount of time, if I think it's neccessary. I'm happy to help every other collegue out (even think that's one of my positive skills, helping other people), but sometimes I just need that 2 hours to finish a target...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home