LINKBLOG for May 14, 2008
- Developer Usability - Michael Stal
' In contrast to common belief, architecture is not only about functional requirements and operational qualities. It is also about usability '
- Can Subversion and Live Mesh Play Together? - Mike Hall
Mike investigates unknown territories in combining a great OS tool with the latest and greatest from Microsoft. The conclusion might disappoint you a bit, but the lessons learned are worth reading
- Guest Post: The Case of the FrontPage Error - Troy Wolbrink
guest post on Mark Russinovich's Case File blog
- Top Time-wasters for Web Workers (And How to Cure Them) - Celine Roque
not only for web workers...
- Choosing an agile process - Summary - Ade Miller
- Software Developers Never Change - Nick Berardi
' (...) they need a scape goat and it is usually that their co-workers are slacking off, or they aren’t “smart enough” to keep up with their brilliance '
Funny how this seems so specific to our craft; are we still just
not mature enougha bunch of apes running around in circles, maybe?
- MVC Storefront, Part 10: Shopping Cart Refactoring and Membership - Rob Conery
- ALT.DayOf.Net? - Steven Harman
' Not one coming to a town near you...? Organize one! '
Someone going to take ALT.NET to the Netherlands?
- Doug Finke's Amazing 7 Minute C# => PowerShell Demo - PowerShell Team blog
from the description it looks like an interesting to view
- Whiteboard Wednesday: The Probability of Getting Tasks Done - Max Pool
- Microsoft Data Centres - it's staggering - Craig Bailey
- Architect Team Blog Roll - Charles Sterling
pointers to VS Team Architect bloggers
- Beyond Mocks - the Partial - Karl Seguin
Learned something new here: partial mocks
- Simulated Agile Team Rooms - Peter Provost
Some extreme (what's in a word) measures to simulate agility if the circumstances are not 100% optimal; which they never are...
'(...) actually have everyone go into their individual offices and dial-in to the meeting so everyone is on an equal footing '
- 101 ways to "Pump you (Visual Studio) Up - Brian Schroer
via Greg's Cool [Insert Clever Name] of the Day"
- Software's Classic Mistakes--2008 - Steve McConnell
Steve notes that we make the same mistakes over and over again, but people: remember the famous quote from [...mmm, lemme just Google that, tadaaaa] George Santayana(who's that?!?) ' Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it '
- ALT.NET Podcast on Continuous Improvement - Chad Myers
putting this one in to 'tolisten' folder
- b# - Screencast - Test Driving an Inventory Screen
Watching the screencast right now.. full of small side tips and explanations while Ben and Chad are coding away. You can just see they've done this before together
- Podcast #5 - stackoverflow.com
- Make a Binding Agreement with Yourself for the Life of Your Dreams - Travis Wright
It's striking how this contrasts with the book I'm currently reading (4-hr workweek), where Tim Ferriss says that you can start living your dream right now, instead of getting to it step by step. I tend still to the previous version of getting there...
- Nice New Features in Firefox Beta 3 - Yaakov Ellis